Author : Sarah Tan - 12.11.2012
Skype interviews are increasingly becoming part of the digital recruitment revolution, and have proven to be a cost-effective tool which simulates many elements of a face-to-face interview. However, such online interviews pose new challenges for candidates looking to leave a positive impression and progress to the next stage. Here are some tips and tricks that we hope will enable candidates to tackle a Skype interview head-on.
Doing the prep work:
1. Download Skype and configure the volume and camera settings, making sure that your entire head as well as the top half of your shirt are visible in the camera. If possible, get a trusted friend or family member to conduct a trial run with you.
2. When positioning the camera, be mindful of any clutter in the background which may distract the interviewer. While the interviewers realize that you will be at home, distracting pictures or a messy background may divert their attention away from you.
3. Another variable that you should control is lighting, as a poorly positioned light source can either cast shadows on your face or result in unnecessary glare. Try to place lamps such that they illuminate and flatter your face.
4. Choose clothes in dark colors as they present a sleek, professional image, unlike white clothes or those with distracting patterns which may detract from your appearance. Despite the interview taking place while you are at home, make sure to be professionally attired from the waist up.
5. Practice talking to the camera instead of looking at the interviewer’s image on the screen, as this will make you appear as though you are looking downwards. If possible, tape a photo next to the web-cam, as it this may help you to focus on and talk directly to the camera.
6. Finally, try to eliminate all sources of noise so that your interview will not be disrupted by the ringing of the telephone or barking dogs.
Finding the right job and candidate can be a painful and time-consuming process for all involved, however employers and job-seekers alike are given access to many more opportunities through free video-conferencing services like Skype. We hope that through these simple steps, interviewees can be thoroughly prepared to impress during the interview and leave a positive impression.
Article adapted from:
- Jobiness.com does not charge fees for membership or the information provided on the site. Information generated by our community will be shared for free!
All salary information and company reviews that are submitted on the site are individually controlled by our team before posting.
In addition, we prevent the entry of fake and suspicious records in the system by requesting all users to activate their accounts.
Our community ensures that information entered are “real” by giving active feedback.